Bees are simply amazing. Some fun facts
- To create one pound of honey, bees have to visit 2 MILLION flowers to generate enough nectar and pollen.
- In her lifetime (which is about 4 months), a honey bee will generate 1/12 teaspoon of honey.
- One hive can generate 3-5 gallons of honey each year.
- When harvesting, we only take their excess and leave them more than enough to live on through the winter.
- The honey bee's wings stroke incredibly fast, about 200 beats per second, thus making their famous, distinctive buzz. A honey bee can fly for up to six miles, and as fast as 15 miles per hour.
- A hive of bees will fly 90,000 miles, the equivalent of three orbits around the earth to collect 1 kg of honey.
- It takes one ounce of honey to fuel a bee's flight around the world.
- The queen bee lays up to 2500 eggs per day. The queen bee has control over whether she lays male or female eggs.